IKEA: a company that, according to its own statements, cares about sustainability. This includes providing an environmentally friendly, healthy and affordable food offer. Therefore, the furniture giant from Sweden introduced already in 2015 a vegan version of the popular KĂ¶ttbullar. In August of 2018, followedÂ a vegan hot dog called Veggie Hot Dog. And for summer 2019, the Swedish chain has already announced on Instagram to offer a vegan soft ice cream, which is already being tested in some stores. Keep reading for learning which vegan products from the Swedish Food Market to take home with you.
You want to show on your travels that you live vegan? You want to meet other vegan travelers? You would like to get to know vegan locals in other places, who will show you their city? If so, show it with the gymbag of our vegan travel community that you are a VEGAN TRAVELER!
Here you’ll get more information. To order your gymbag, please send us a message.
Vegan Food at the IKEA Restaurant & Bistro
Veggie Hot Dog
Who hasn’t done it? After staying way too long in the Swedish furniture store, where much more things ended up in the shopping cart than initially planned, one thing simply has to be the crowning glory: the compulsory hot dog at IKEA.
Vegetarians and vegans had to do without it for a long time – but not anymore! With the Veggie Hot Dog, IKEA has created a hot dog that is not only vegetarian but completely vegan in its recipe. The Veggie Hot Dog doesn’t contain any animal ingredients, however, as a possible cross contamination with other foods in the processing or output line can’t be excluded, the Veggie Hot Dog is officially advertised as a vegetarian product by IKEA.
By the way: After only two months, the European IKEA Bistros alone had already sold more than one million Veggie Hot Dogs!View this post on Instagram
We're happy that you like the new veggie hot dog as much as we do! In the first two month IKEA stores in Europe sold around 1 million veggie hot dogs. From all of us at IKEA Food to all of you: 1 million times thank you for making planet positive choices! #ikeafood #veggiehotdog #moreplantsforthemanypeople #worldvegetarianday
In April 2015, IKEA introduced the vegetable balls, called GrĂ¶nsaksbullar, in its branches worldwide. The company responded to an online petition by the animal rights organization PETA with over 25,000 signatories and opted for a recipe without animal ingredients. The balls named after the Swedish word GrĂ¶nsak for “vegetable” are thus not just vegetarian, as originally planned, but actually vegan.
The motivation behind this can be read on the IKEA blog (unfortunately only in German, so roughly translated):
“This is the first step in offering a wider choice of healthier and more sustainable foods. The new product contains only vegetables and therefore has a lower carbon footprint than animal products.”
Depending on the country, the vegan KĂ¶ttbullar are served in the restaurant with various side dishes and sold in the Swedish Food Market under the names ALLEMANSRĂTTEN or GRĂNSAKSBULLAR as frozen good.
Fun Fact: AllemansrĂ€tten is the name of the “everyman’s right” in Sweden.
Vegan Ice Cream
Soya heard about our new ice-cream flavour yet?We've now swapped our vanilla soft-serve with 100% plant-based, dairy and gluten-free Soya ice-cream! All part of our plan towards a more sustainable environment, one Soya ice-cream at a time.
Gepostet von IKEA am Mittwoch, 1. August 2018
In June 2018, IKEA Food Services announced on Instagram that they are currently working on a 100 percent plant-based version of the soft ice cream. The development has begun and the company aims to offer the alternative to dairy-based ice cream in IKEA Bistros in summer of 2019.
In early August, IKEA Malaysia posted a video on Facebook which announces a soy-based soft ice cream. Currently, you can buy the soy soft serve in Malaysia for the equivalent of 19 eurocents in the IKEA Bistros. In Lisbon, on the other hand, a vegan soft ice cream with strawberry-banana flavor is being tested.
We are curious to see what exactly we can look forward to in summer 2019!
In addition to free coffee thanks to the IKEA Family Card, there is plant milk available in many branches in Spain, and in some cases even several varieties! So go ahead and ask in your IKEA store for an alternative to cow’s milk. At best, they have some there. At worst, you’ll increase the demand. đ
Vegan Products in the IKEA Swedish Food Market
After an extensive IKEA shopping tour, a trip to the Swedish Food Market should not be missed. There, you will find many products that are partly obviously and partly less obviously vegan.
These products from the IKEA Swedish Food Market are vegan:
- OATLY oat milk in the flavors Orange-Mango, Chocolate, Barrista Edition or Natural
- ALLEMANSRĂTTEN or GRĂNSAKSBULLAR vegetable balls, frozen
- POTATISCHIPS SALTADE chips, salted
- POTATISCHIPS GRĂDDFIL & LĂK cream and onion chips
- KEX wholegrain biscuits
- RĂSTI potato fritters, frozen, gluten-free
- MUNSBIT oat smoothie, apple pear or black currant blueberry
- MUNSBIT nut mixes in the varieties nuts/berries/raisins, almonds or cashew nuts
- MUNSBIT fruit snacks, apple-strawberry or apple-blueberry
- SJĂRAPPORT vegan caviar substitute made from seaweed, black or red
- ROSTAD LĂK roasted onions
- PAJMIX RABARBER & HALLON rhubarb and raspberry crumble, frozen
- KAFFEREP cookies with raspberry filling, ginger thins, ginger thins with almonds, cookies with almonds or oat biscuits
- LĂRDAGSGODIS jellies, sour or sweet
- CHOKLAD MĂRK 70% dark chocolate 70%, UTZ certified
- MARSIPAN marzipan
- MĂSLI muesli with berries
- VINTERSAGA gingerbread dough, frozen
- SYLT HJORTRON cloudberry jam
- SYLT LINGON lingonberry preserves, organic
- SYLT BLĂ BĂR blueberry jam
- SYLT JORDGUBB strawberry jam, organic
- SYLT HALLON & BLĂ BĂR raspberry and blueberry jam, organic
- MARMELAD APELSIN & FLĂDER orange- and elderflower marmalade, organic
- KNĂCKEBRĂD DILL crispbread with dill
- KNĂCKEBRĂD RĂ G rye crispbread
- KNĂCKEBRĂD FLERKORN crispbread multigrain
- BRĂD TUNNBRĂD soft thin bread, frozen
- BRĂD MJUKKAKA soft wheat bread, frozen
- BRĂDMIX FLERKORN multigrain bread baking mix
- SKORPOR FULLKORN whole grain crisprolls
- SKORPOR KARDEMUMMA cardamom crisp rolls
- KETCHUP tomato ketchup
- SENAP MILD mild mustard
- SENAP GROV whole-grain mustard, organic
- SĂ S SENAP & DILL mustard and dill sauce
We are very happy that the Swedish furniture store has recognized the potential and is following up on the demand for plant-based alternatives. We are curious what will follow in the coming weeks, months and years. Because IKEA seems to have great plans: